Therapeutic patient education (TPE) aims at helping patients to better manage life with a chronic disease. It is a continuous process, and is an integral and permanent part of management by the patient.
Several plans developed by the French Health Authorities allow improvement of the quality of therapeutic education.
In France, there are 13 programmes related to hereditary metabolic disorders:
- The University Hospital Robert Debré (Assistance publique hôpitaux de Paris) TPE programme
- The University Hospital Beaujon (Assistance publique hôpitaux de Paris) TPE programme (Gaucher diseases)
- The University Hospital of Toulouse TPE programme
- The University Hospital of Rennes TPE programme (Phenylketonuria)
- The University Necker Hospital (Assistance publique hôpitaux de Paris)
- Programme of hyper-insulinemia
- Programme of phenylketonuria-Tyrosinemia-Homocystinuria
- Programme of glycogen storage disease and neoglycogenesis
- Programme of Galactosemia-Fructosemia
- Programme of Fatty acids oxidation deficiency
- Programme of pyruvate deshyrogenase deficiency, Glut-1 deficiency and mitochondrial cytopathy
- Programme of urea cycle deficiency, organic aciduria, Maple syrup urine Syndrome (MSUD) and type 1 glutaric aciduria
- The University Hospital of Bordeaux TPE programme
- The University Hospital of Saint Joseph-Marseille TPE programme
- TPE Programmes based on Heriditary Metabolic Diseases symptoms
- The TPE tools.